What is CreateTime?
CreateTime is a resource machine for creative women whose lives are overwhelming, and that seems like it’s most of us.
Here is what the average woman has on her plate:
- children who yell “Mom!” every two minutes
- aging parents who don’t want to admit they need help
- spouses who can’t find the mixing bowls on their own
- pets who forget their housetraining at random times
- working for money
- working in the household
- managing her own health and the health of her family
- finding time for her own creativity and self-expression
All of this is a recipe for ignoring our own needs. Notice that creativity and self-expression come at the end of that list? CreateTime’s mission is to try to move that item up the bullet list, at least a notch or two. CreateTime helps you find ways to create time (see what I did there?) for your own creativity.
Every creative woman’s situation is unique and there are no one-size-fits-all solutions. CreateTime’s goal is to provide you with helpful tools for building a singular, joyful, creative life that you love.
Am I a creative woman?
Yes, you are. And you are awesome.
What’s in it?
- resources for quick projects that can help you reconnect to your creativity
- short, easy to read reviews of the best books on creativity and productivity, written with your needs in mind
- ideas on making the creative process work for your unique situation
- information about constructing a life management system specific to your needs
Who made it?
I’m Jennifer Lackey and I’m a creative woman just like you. I’ve got an eight-year-old daughter, a spouse, a blogging business, an elderly father with vascular dementia, and I write novels and do crafting on the side. On top of all this, I was going to graduate school full time from about 2012 until the winter of 2017, when I realized that I was completely burned out and had let a lot of things in my life go so I could do my school work. (Plus, my department was a nightmare, but that’s a whole ‘nother story.)
I needed two things:
- creative projects less all-encompassing than writing a novel
- to reorganize my life to focus on what I really want to do on a daily basis
Plus, I needed to quit graduate school. That part was pretty easy once I figured it out.
But when I looked for creative projects, there were tons of options – like, really, a LOT of options – but finding the best ones and the technical information that I really wanted was confusing and time-consuming.
When I looked for time management strategies, the amount of information was once again overwhelming, but most of it was geared to male full-time employees who have wives to take care of all the work that happens at home. Their lives are a lot less complicated than ours! And very little of it was focused on the specific challenges of trying to do creative work while being a care-giving female.
I wished that someone could take all this information, summarize it, and distill out what was valuable for a creative woman with a complicated life. I decided that since I was doing all this work for myself anyway, I might as well share it and save other women the hassle of wading through it all.
So that’s how CreateTime.ca was born.
This site is a resource that I’m building for the both of us. My goal is to curate the best information about creative life that I can find and distill it into easy-to-implement nuggets.
The site and my life are works in progress. My goal is not to tell you exactly how to fix your life, but rather to give you the tools to be able to create life plans that work for you and your unique situation. I share what I’m learning as I go in the most organized, succinct way I can and it’s up to you to decide if a given process, tool, or project works for you.
I am so glad you’re here and I can’t wait to get to know you better.